APPLYING TO THE MAT PROGRAM
Welcome to the application for the Master of Athletic Training at Arkansas State University.
Here at A-State we have a long Athletic Training tradition going back to 1994 as an undergraduate degree. In 2017, we shifted our energy from an undergraduate degree into a brand new graduate degree in the College of Nursing and Health Professions. Our faculty and staff are here to use our 160 years of combined experience to prepare students to become certified athletic trainers. This 2-year program give students the opportunity to follow their dreams of working with the patients and athletic population that interests them the most.
Arkansas State MAT program is one of the least expensive programs in the country. Applicants who qualify, are eligible for a tuition cost of only $277.00 per credit hour. You can receive your masters degree in Athletic Training for less than $25,000 in tuition cost.
We are the first athletic training program in Arkansas accredited under the new CAATE 2020 standards.
Applications for the SUMMER 2021 semester start August 1st, 2020 with a rolling admissions procedure ending April 1st, 2021.
Our application process requires several documents prior to consideration. Of the list of requirements, GRE scores are NOT required.
- Transcript of a complete (or soon to be completed) bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. The MAT program will accept any undergraduate degree however; we recommend that students obtain degrees relating to exercise science and any degree relating to exercise science. Final completed transcript is required prior to start of the program.
- A 3.0 cumulative undergraduate grade point average and a grade of “C” in the prerequisite courses.
- Final transcript MUST show the successful completion and verification of the following courses:
- Biology (with lab)
- Chemistry (with lab)
- Physics (with lab)
- Anatomy and Physiology (two courses for 8 hours)
- Exercise Physiology
- Kinesiology and/or Bio mechanics.
- The program will place special consideration for students who have taken Calculus at any level.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Proof of CPR-PR/BLS certification from either the American Red Cross or American Heart Association. (EMT/Paramedic license will suffice for this requirement)
- Submission of the Technical Standards documentation.
- Background check
- TOEFL scores (for international students whose native language is not English)
Applicants will need to apply to the A-State Graduate Program, simply complete the online application here:
You will be prompted for the program in which you wish to apply for on the application. Look for the degree “Athletic Training” (M.A.T.)
Official transcripts MUST be sent to A-STATE Traditional Graduate Programs. Please do not send transcripts to the A-STATE Athletic Training Department unless specifically requested to. Transcripts and immunization records for A-STATE Traditional Graduate Programs should be sent to:
A-State Traditional Graduate Programs
PO Box 1570
State University, AR 72467
A-State Graduate Programs' can be contacted at 870-972-2031 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
The application fee of $50 can be paid online (through your applicant account) or by phone to the Cashier’s Window at 870-972-3847.
Students who have attended one or more of the A-STATE campuses (i.e. Newport, Beebe, etc.) must still request transcripts from them separately to be sent to A-STATE in Jonesboro. A-STATE campuses are independent of each other in regards to transcripts and can only be verified by the campus where the courses were actually taken.
Based on recent legislation in Arkansas, students will be required to complete a background check AFTER they receive conditional admission into the program.
Arkansas State University’s College of Nursing and Health Professions works with Verified Credentials, Inc. to establish an acceptable screening procedure. The cost of the background check is between $50 and $100.
Background Checks for Students Newly Admitted into the AT Program
Students who are conditionally admitted into the AT program must submit an initial background check to complete their admission requirements into the program. View the step-by-step background check guide for new AT students>>>
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES
MAT Program Application Forms
Applicants of the MAT program must complete and submit the forms and information found below before they are enrolled into the program. Please take the time to review the checklist and forms because several forms will require the review of a physician and personal immunization information. Some required information (CPR and First Aid Certification) do not have forms.
- Application Checklist
- Technical Standards
- Criminal Background Check
- Drug Screening Policy
- Student Health Record
- Hepatitis B Vaccination
- MMR Immunity Report